Sunday, December 27, 2009

From "Writers' Rest": Avatar-- a movie review by Molly Noble Bull

Avatar--a Movie Review

by Molly Noble Bull

www.mollynoblebull.com


The dictionary as well as Hindu mythology states that an Avatar is an incarnation of a god, and like most Christians, I call any God but the Lord a false god. I also pray in the name of God's only begotten son, Jesus.
Nevertheless, I saw Avatar in a movie theater recently but don’t have a lot of good things to say about it. Exotic settings, an interesting storyline and exciting special effects might cause some Christians to allow their children and teens to see the movie.
Regardless, Avatar is very much a film about what Bible believers would call “lying spirits” and false gods—with a hint of demonic possession thrown in for good measure. Cursing and bad language only make matters worse. The movie also has an anti-military message, and its “tree hugging green” theme is so clear even Albert Gore would be proud.
In the film, Jake Sully—a paralyzed ex marine, goes to the planet Pandora to help obtain certain minerals for Planet Earth. Once there, Jake is given a new body in a dark shade of science fiction blue in order to look like the natives, and he soon falls in love with a young native girl and finally switches sides.
According to the Bible, in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. To me, the Lord is the only God there is, making the Hindu-like god of Pandora a false one. It bothered me that in the movie characters cursed my God while praying to Pandora’s false god.
So, should Christian parents allow their children to see this movie?
No.
However, if a Christian parent is willing to see the movie with the child, cursing and all, and then sit down and discuss the movie from a Christian perspective, perhaps it could be a good thing.
It is hard to explain Idolatry even to some adults. Avatar provides a perfect opportunity for adults and teens to discuss God’s Word, learn why cursing is a sin and what the worship of false gods really means.
I give Avatar three and a half stars for the special effects and cinematography. Zero for inspiration and content.

3 comments:

Molly Noble Bull said...

Thanks for posting my movie review of Avatar. I have another review right now at Bustles and Spurs for the new movie "Did you hear about the Morgans?" A short trailer of the movie is also included. The address is below, but you might have to scroll down a bit to find it.
www dot bustlesandspurs dot com
Thanks again.
Molly
www.mollynoblebull.com

Carmen7351 said...

I'm happy to post information that is pertinent to Christians, and found you info on Avatar so appropriate. I hope it was ok to do this. I made sure I gave you the credit.

Molly Noble Bull said...

I was happy to see my movie review reprinted at your blog. I want parents to know what is on the movie screens today. I also write Christian novels. If you might like to review one of my books, here is my web address again.
www.mollynoblebull.com
Love,
Molly